NSW Health issues heatwave warning
22nd January 2021
We've got a warm few days ahead, so if you need an excuse to forget about mowing the lawns this weekend, this is it.
The Bureau of Meteorology is expecting temperatures in the Lake Macquarie area to be in the mid to high 30s for the next four days - not too severe, but enough to make it pretty uncomfortable.
Look after yourselves, your family and neighbours, and don't forget about your pets and local wildlife.
Here's some tips from NSW Health for staying cool:
- plan your day and avoid being in the heat between 11am and 5pm
- stay out of the sun
- limit physical activity, like household chores or exercise, to early in the morning when it is coolest
- drink cold drinks and eat smaller cold meals
- wear light-coloured, loose-fitting clothes made from natural fibres like cotton
- put wet towels or cool packs on your arms or neck
- take cool showers or baths or put your feet in cool water
- if you must go outside, apply sunscreen, wear a wide brim hat and sunglasses and take water with you.